St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and the perfect time to “go green” inside your home! Here are some ideas on how you can conserve resources (and save a few dollars) while helping the environment. And remember to keep it up even after St. Patrick’s Day is over – let these tips become the new normal for your home.
WAYS TO CONSERVE RESOURCES & GO GREEN
- Lower the temperature on your hot water heater, every degree counts!
- Don’t heat an empty house! During the winter, turn down your thermostat to 20 degrees when you’re home and 14 degrees at night and while you’re away. For no fuss temperature management, get a programmable thermostat
- Your computer may go to sleep, but it’s still sucking up energy. Turn off both your computer and monitor every night
- Clean your refrigerator coils — vacuum out the dust and wipe with a damp cloth. You’ll be surprised at how much nasty stuff accumulates down there!
- Repair your leaky faucet and install water-saving toilets and shower heads
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine only with full loads
- Switch all your lightbulbs to LED’s
- Speaking of laundry, just wash in cold water. It really does get the job done!
- Turn off lights when you leave the room (simple yes?)
- It’s getting brighter outside – don’t turn on lights at all for as long as you can—open your curtains and enjoy natural light.
Send us your best tip and we’ll add it to the list!